Diet or Life Style?

You know the scenario: you step gingerly on the scales, hoping for a good reading, only to have your hopes dashed to pieces.  Not only did you not lose any weight, you’ve gained!  So, you decide you are really going to get serious THIS time, and you go on a diet.

My life has been a trail of diets:  those times when I count the calories, cut the portion sizes, etc.  I’ve never been one for fad diets – I learned early on that they are just temporary fixes.

Usually a diet is brought on by the above situation or perhaps an upcoming event: a wedding, a reunion, Christmas.  Then we diet, somewhat meet the goal, and then go back to living the way we always did; and before we know it – the pounds are back again.  The same old cycle is replayed over and over again, just with different circumstances and different clothing sizes!

I think I finally get what they are talking about when they say, “Life style, not diet.”  It frightened me a bit.  What!  No more cookies or pizza?  No way! I LOVE to cook.  I didn’t want to change; however, as my body changes, I realize that it’s time for a life style change.  For me, that meant jump starting it with a diet.  If I don’t keep the calories under 1200, I will not lose weight.  (Don’t worry, Mom, I’m keeping it balanced nutritionally!)  So for several weeks I just kept counting and weighing and counting and weighing with little success!  Talk about disappointment! But this time I was determined to stick with it.  Praise the Lord for my husband and kids who kept encouraging me, and I didn’t even have to pay them!  And now it’s happening: I’m not as hungry, in fact the hunger pains are encouraging, AND the pounds are coming off!  Wow!  I’m ready for the plateau that I know will come when the pounds will not come off, but with the help of my family and friends, and most importantly by precious God and Savior and Friend I WILL keep at it!

Do you see the parallel?  Do you have similar roller coaster rides in your walk with God?  Do you have seasons of “dieting” when you purpose to spend more time reading your Bible, praying, getting involved at church?  For a time, you see results, but soon you’re back at the world again and life seems to be falling apart.  You don’t even want to get near the “scales” which happens to be the godly people in your life – you know you’re life isn’t “weighing in” well!

Is it time for a life style change?  The only way we will ever be serious about our walk with God is to have a passion for Him, His Word and His people.  That has to come from within.  I’m determined to lose the weight.  Why?  I’m not really sure, something kicked in to gear and I’m ready for the change.  That is all physical talk; however a godly life style change is a spiritual matter, and praise God we have His Spirit within us, as born-again Christians, to encourage us like no family or friend can!

Are there benefits to my new eating life style?  Absolutely!  You know them:  the clothes fit better, I feel better, I look better.

And the benefits of a new spiritual life style?  They are too numerous to name!  Peace with God, harmony in the home, vision and focus for God’s will in my life; better understanding of Who God is and what His Word says; Joy unspeakable; a better witness which will lead to a passion for souls which will lead to opportunities to share your faith which will lead to the thrill of all thrills: planting, watering and leading a soul to Jesus; Oh, and the best blessing of all:  when I stand before my Savior, He will say, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant.”  It doesn’t get any better than that!

“I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”  Phil 4:13

“Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:” 1Pe 1:8

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s