Absolute Surrender

So, I’m heading east on Route 973, a beautiful drive through the countryside, noticing how all the fields are steaming.  After two days of snow (eight inches in some areas), we’ve enjoyed some beautiful sights, albeit strange: like snow on the ground in the mountains, and subtle bright green  leaves on the trees – a beautiful combination!

As I watch the steaming fields, I can’t help think about the fact that God uses the word ‘vapor’ to describe our lives. “Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.” Jas 4:14  Those thoughts are particularly on my mind because I attended two funerals last week, and heard of a young man’s death just this morning!  We take life for granted, and often live as though it isn’t a reality that we may meet today!

As I’m heading down the road, I come to a recent road closing.  I say recent because there were no detour signs.  The road was closed and there was nothing to do but to turn around.  Now, my pastor-husband preached on “Absolute Surrender” this past Sunday, so I’m enjoying talking to the Lord, thanking Him for the fact that for once, I am not in a hurry, and that the delay will not cause a problem. (By the way, you can listen to Andrew Murray’s book: Absolute Surrender on the web. http://librivox.org/absolute-surrender-by-andrew-murray/ – I HIGHLY recommend it!)  I’m working on the absolute surrender thing when I drive past the cemetery where one of the funerals I attended took place.  I did not go to the graveside, so I swing into the parking lot and walk over to the fresh grave.  Cemeteries are great places to put live into perspective!  This one is at the church that I attended as a child.  In the distance I can see the church where this dear lady attended as a child.  She was born in this little town, lived here, raised her children and now is resting here until Jesus returns.  Perspective!  It’s a beautiful place – peacefully situated in the foothills of Pennsylvania.  I wander around a bit and come to another grave.  It is the parents of an old friend that I have determined to visit for the past five years that we’ve been in the area!

As I pull into her driveway, my heart is racing.  I haven’t seen this woman since junior high school!  I’m hoping to share the Gospel with her, but there is no answer so I leave a tract and a note. I’m anxious to see if she will call – we were best friends in elementary school!

Absolute Surrender – I wouldn’t have passed the cemetery if the road wasn’t closed; ; I wouldn’t have stopped at the cemetery if my older friend hadn’t died.  I wouldn’t have thought of my friend if I hadn’t stopped at the cemetery. God leads our paths.  Are we paying attention?

Now, the story would have been better if my friend had been home and I witnessed to her and she trusted Christ, right?  Our part in absolute surrender is to yield to the Master’s leading.  He is responsible for the outcome!

Only to be what He wants me to be,

Every moment of every day.

Yielded completely to Jesus alone

Every step of this pilgrim way.

Just to be clay in the Potter’s hands.

Ready to do what His will demands.

Only to be what He wants me to be,

Every moment of every day.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s