I didn’t start drinking coffee until I was in my 40s. While sitting across from a burly man at a church function and watching him dump lots of sugar and milk into his coffee, I decided I’d give it a try. That, coupled with the rise in the popularity of Cappuccino, was the beginning. I now drink coffee regularly. BUT I like to sip my cuppa while having my devotions. So, by the time I’m halfway through the lovely drink, it’s cold. I’ve been putting up with this for months! I need to get one of those hot plates for coffee cups. But wait! We had one of those at one time. Where is it? Ah yes, hubby used it for nearly dead candles and it’s … right here! Yes, right here on the other end of the little cupboard where I set my coffee—right at my fingertips! Duh! And isn’t that often true about the help we need?
How often do we forget that God is HERE, right with us? Why must we try to work out our own problems, stumble, and fall before we will seek the Lord’s help? Or maybe I’m the only one the does that! 😊
Here’s a quick Bible study for you: I plugged “seek God,” exact phrase into Power Bible, and these verses (NKJV) came up (I’ve put the phrase “seek God” in caps and the blessings or words of interest in a bold print):
- 2Chronicles 19:3 “Nevertheless good things are found in you, in that you have removed the wooden images from the land, and have prepared your heart to SEEK GOD.”
- 2Chronicles 30:19 who prepares his heart to SEEK GOD, the LORD God of his fathers, though he is not cleansed according to the purification of the sanctuary.”
- Job 5:8 “But as for me, I would SEEK GOD, And to God I would commit my cause–
- Job 8:5 If you would earnestly SEEK GOD And make your supplication to the Almighty,
(But wait! Where’s the rest? “If…then…” These are the words of Bildad, and even though he is a “miserable comforter” trying to help Job see his faults, his council is helpful. “…Surely now He would awake for you…(v.6). Does God sleep? NO!! PTL! But you can see the promise.)
- Psalm 10:4 The wicked in his proud countenance does not SEEK GOD; God is in none of his thoughts. ☹
- Psalm 14:2 The LORD looks down from heaven upon the children of men, To see if there are any who understand, who SEEK GOD.
- Psalm 53:2 God looks down from heaven upon the children of men, To see if there are any who understand, who seek God. (Hmm. God says this twice through David’s pen. It’s a good reminder that God doesn’t stutter. If He repeats something, we need to sit up and pay attention. Are we seeking God?)
- Psalm 69:32 The humble shall see this and be glad; And you who SEEK GOD, your hearts shall live.
It’s all right there, folks. Hope you don’t miss a day chatting with your God through prayer and listening to His wisdom through Bible study. Keep looking up and walking with the LORD!