Dealing with Disappointment

“And said, Naked came I out of my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return thither:

the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.

In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.”

Job 1:21,22

Disappointment – something or someone that is not what you were hoping it would be; let down; dashed hopes.

We all know what it is like to be disappointed.  Disappointment comes in all sizes: we may have lost the ball game in the back yard or we may have lost twelve years of wins, taken from us because of our actions

This picture is my disappointment.  I work hard at the garden.  I work to keep it weed free (which has been almost impossible this year), I water it and dig and hoe; but when God sent a storm last week, there was nothing I could do to help my corn.  It was not only flattened, many of the stalks had snapped.  How disappointing.

So, what do we do with disappointmenst?  Well, there are several options: let’s start with the bad ones – the ones our flesh want to embrace!

1. Life is unfair – that is too true!  Cancer invades our bodies, a husband is unfaithful, the world snatches away our children’s affections.  It’s just not fair!
  2. God is mean – this is NOT true and it will NEVER be true.  Our verse at the beginning is from Job.  We never read that God revealed His plan or explained to Job why He had completely destroyed all that was dear to Job.  God knew, and that was enough – THAT is a hard pill to swallow!
  3. I quit – it’s not worth it!

All of these reactions are the wrong reactions!  Disappointments come as part of God’s strength training session!  The bigger the disappointment, the greater the “trust” muscle will grow.  Is it easy?  No!  Trust is never easy in the face of trials; however, when we look to where the other options lead us – farther away from God, the decision to choose the right reaction to our disappointments become clearer.  (Disappointments are also a time to do a self-check.   Is there something in my life that has been the catalyst to my troubles?)

Trust God – Draw strength from other heroes of the faith, present and past.  Horatio Spafford always comes to my mind when I am facing disappointments.  Trying to comprehend how this man must have felt as he read his wife’s telegraph, “Saved alone,” is more than even my vivid imagination can take in.  Somehow, my flattened corn doesn’t seem that important anymore!

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

It is well (it is well),
with my soul (with my soul),
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to His cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pain shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

And Lord haste the day, when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

Advertisements

One thought on “Dealing with Disappointment

1. […] WandaMacAvoy.com Filed Under: Wanda MacAvoy Tagged With: disappointment, God is mean, Horatio Spafford, Job, life is unfair, trusting God […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s