Common Sense and Sneakers

This past week, Nike released to the public a new basketball sneaker which caused quite a sensation.  In New York, people slept on the street for seven days just to get a pair.  In Orlando, more than 100 deputies in riot gear had to break up an unruly crowd.  All for a sneaker?  Take a closer look.  This same $220 sneaker is now offered on eBay for over $2,000!  So there’s the catch – this is one highly valued sneaker!  What makes it so valuable? Nike will only make so many of the star-flecked purple and blue gem, keeping them “hot.”

Sorry folks, but there is no common sense in this one!  It’s amazing to me in this economy that anyone would pay $220 for sneakers, much less $2,000!  I realize that some folks make a career of buying and selling, but sitting on the cold cement of New York City in February for seven days – there’s got to be a better way to make a living!

Can we learn anything from this bizarre tale true-life situation?  Just one – how precious is the Word of God to you?  Another way to put that is: How precious is Jesus to you; because Jesus IS the Word: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God”  (John 1:1).  This Sunday when you struggle to get out of bed and go to church, be glad that you don’t have to sit on hard cold pavement for seven days just to hear God’s Precious Word preached!  If you start to roll over and say, “It’s too cold, I have nothing to wear, my friends aren’t going, I stayed up too late…” ask yourself how precious is God’s Son to you?  If you made other plans, why not change them and spend a little time at God’s house with His people?

Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.” (or footwear!) Job 23:12

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s