Common Sense and Exposure

While we’re in the doldrums of February’s winter season, think back or ahead with me to those wonderful summer days at the beach.  The sun is hot, but the ocean breeze combined with an occasional dip cools you and allows you to bake longer in the sun. That exposure tans the skin, which some seek in extreme and others avoid in extreme.  Exposure to the sun produces a tan; and we all know that too much exposure results in the pain and damage of a sunburn.  Common sense tells us to limit our time in the sun.

And to what do you expose your soul?  “Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.” (1Co 15:33)  As I sit at a desk in a public school monitoring a tutorial (For those of you from the older set, a tutorial is what we used to call a study hall), I wonder at the constant exposure these students have to “evil communications.”  Several of the students are plugged into an iPod which is no doubt blasting their ears with rock music filled with foul language and unimaginable filth.  Another set is discussing the terrible injustices of domestic violence and the unfair treatment of men, police and any other authority.  Some of the couples are lounging on each other. One student is asleep.  Some have gone to the library and computer lab to do work lest you think the whole time is a waste!

Is the constant exposure to sex and violence affecting our teens?  I don’t even have to answer that questions – the statistics are out there.  I’m not sure where it will all end; and without sounding too simplistic, what they need is exposure to the Gospel!

And what about you, dear Christian?  Are you exposing yourself to gossip or the God’s Word; griping or thanking; negative or positive thoughts or statements?  Check it out.  Listen to your speech and thoughts and see if perhaps you need more exposure to God’s Word to flush out the affects of evil communications and build up “Christ in you, the hope of glory!” (Col.1:27)

Compare these verses on the word  daily – they run the gamut, but make the case for daily exposure to God’s Word.

Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.” Pr 8:34

After this manner ye shall offer daily, throughout the seven days, the meat of the sacrifice made by fire, of a sweet savour unto the LORD: it shall be offered beside the continual burnt offering, and his drink offering.” Nu 28:24

And he taught daily in the temple.”  Lu 19:47

“And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.” Lu 9:23

Are you getting “burned” with the Bible? 🙂

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s