Walking in Darkness

The other night, I chose to take a short walk after dark. Where I live, there are no streetlights.  No cars passed me on my walk. Houses are far from the road. It was a clear night, but it was dark.  In fact, it was so dark that the only way I knew where I was walking was by the occasional crunch of gravel beneath my feet. It was dark—the scary kind of dark which would have had me turn around if I had not been walking with my best Friend and Savior.

Was I afraid? Well, common sense told me that I need not fear. Any wildlife critters would be more afraid of me than I need to fear them, and I doubted that any other humans would be met on my short walk. Any moments of doubt were pushed aside as I talked with my Best Friend and Savior.

Walking in darkness. Oh, how many people are doing just that! They stumble through this life not knowing their eternal destiny, trying to squelch any wooing of God’s Holy Spirit, perhaps sent their way by a loved one’s prayers.

“Fightings and fears within, without

Oh, Lamb of God, I come, I come!”

As I walked, my eyes grew accustomed to the darkness and more stars came into view. Funny, isn’t it.  The stars are always there. We just can’t see them because of the light or atmosphere of our world—also correct of the True Light! Our own thoughts and conclusions couple with the glittering fool’s gold of this world and blind our hearts to the Truth.

It was a moonless night, but the air was heavy, so the stars were not easily seen. At first, I couldn’t find the Big Dipper, which is always a bit unnerving, for some reason. At this time of year, it is mostly hidden behind the mountains. My habit is to locate the North Star, following the two points of the Big Dipper to the Little Dipper, but I just couldn’t find it. I’m not sure why.

Do you sometimes feel that way with the Lord? You know He’s there, but He feels distant, hidden. Those are the times that you must use your compass—the Word of God. Like the pilot flying through the fog, he must depend on his instruments.  If he goes on what he thinks or feels, he may crash. The same is true for us. Feelings and emotions are poor guides.

“Help my heart believe what my eyes can’t see. You are always, only good.” —Chris Anderson

If you are a born-again believer, rejoice, for “you who have walked in darkness have seen a great light.” And if you are struggling with doubts or the way seems dark, keep looking up! Look beyond the stars! And remember what God told Jeremiah:

” And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart” (Jeremiah 29:13).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.