December 23—The True Attitude of Christmas

The following is from the Christmas devotional that I wrote this year. If you like what you see, check it out here.

As I study the Christmas story for this devotional, I realize that the overriding attitude throughout the story is humility. John begins the theme even before the story began when he lost his voice. How humbling, especially when we consider that it happened because of his unbelief! Mary continues with her description of herself as being of low estate, and certainly Joseph is humiliated by the thought that his sweet Mary has been unfaithful.

Certainly, the angels condescended to give their messages to men, and then of all men—shepherds, the lowliest of men received the message.

The humble couple were given no room. No one believed the shepherds’ report. The wise men were lied to by Herod. The newlyweds find themselves fleeing the country. And lives were not only humbled by the cruel tyranny of Rome, but completely destroyed by the murderous hand of their king.

Recently, I’ve had to do some rather humbling activities. I want to run from them. I want my old “normal” back. I want to say that no one understands and that life is not fair. And then I read the Christmas story once more. Humility. The greatest humility of all was performed by the King of kings and Lord of lords! Oh, how many times will that phrase be sung as choirs all over the world sing Handel’s Hallelujah Chorus? How many of those singers or listeners will give one thought to the fact that the Creator of everything humbled Himself and left His glorious kingdom of heaven to become a helpless infant BORN IN A MANGER? And then, as though that was not enough, He gave His life for us. He died! But no ordinary death. No, He died the most humiliating, bloody death man has ever invented. Jesus paid it all. All to Him I owe!

Look around you. Do you see a humble Christmas, or do you see so much wealth and foolish spending that it makes you ashamed? That’s what I see in my life.

This Christmas, what if we all gave up a bauble we thought we must have, or a new dress, or a party, or a toy that our children don’t even need and reached out in some unique way to show someone what Christmas is really about? What if we gave our time—the humble gift of giving of ourselves?

…that we might humble ourselves before our God, to seek from Him the right way for us and our little ones and all our possessions (Ezra 8:21).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.