Chance of Showers

storm-clouds-above-the-field-grass-sky-nature-1920x1200-wallpaper360974With the internet down for the past three days (ah, country living!) I’ve come to realize just how much I depend on the crazy thing! Is it going to rain, or will these clouds move out? Wow! It’s given me an appreciation for farmers who lived before any broadcasting system! So, should I hang the sheets out to dry or not? You may wonder, “Why take the chance?” If you’ve never slept on sheets hung out to dry in the fresh summer air, then you wouldn’t understand! The sheets come off the line crisp and smelling like fresh air. But should I risk it?

This relatively minor quandary reminds me of the dilemma we face when giving someone the Gospel. Should I risk offending them, or having them belittle me? Will they become angry and reject the message? We don’t know; and unlike so many ads that we hear today, there are no guarantees.  Jesus only said, “Go!” But wait! That’s not true.  He also said this:

…and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Matthew 28:20

He promises to go with us, even if it’s just across the street! What a comfort to know that He is with us in every situation, especially when we are sharing the Gospel. He will help us to know what to say and what NOT to say, when to speak and when to be quiet. We are not responsible for the results because we cannot do the “saving.” That’s the work of the Lord. We’re only responsible for going because it is a command of God.

I remember hearing the story about a man who witnessed to a person whom he had been praying for for a long time.  The man slammed the door in his face, and the ‘Gospel-giver’ went to his car, sat there a moment, and began to weep for the other man’s soul. He prayed and felt that the Lord wanted him to try again, and when he returned to the door, the man let him in and trusted Jesus Christ as his Savior. That’s an example of a man who never even looks at the forecast! Praise the Lord.  There is truly no greater joy than having the privilege to lead someone to Christ—it’s better than sheets fresh off the line!

Chance of showers? Well, since it’s been a few hours since I started this post, I can tell you that it did rain, but not until I got the sheets off the line!

The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.Proverbs 11:30

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s