I Never Knew You

829And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Matthew 7: 23

This is a very sobering statement.  It wields even more dread when we realize that it was said by our Loving Savior, Jesus Christ. Why would He say such a thing, and to whom was He giving this warning?

This statement is near the end of what we call “The Sermon on the Mount.”  Jesus has given a string of wonderful truths to those who had gathered along the shoreline of the Galilean Sea.  Only one more statement will be made: the wise man builds his house upon a rock.

So, who was Jesus talking to?  To whom were these words meant?  If you are not familiar with the passage, you might answer that Jesus was talking to murderers or thieves; however, the preceding  verse says this:

“Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name?

and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?”

This crowd was preaching and teaching “in Jesus’ name.”  Not Buddha’s or Allah’s name, but Jesus’!  They had the power to cast out devils!  They did many wonderful works: perhaps they fed the poor, or built houses, or healed the sick, or held rock concerts “in Jesus’ name!”  But His conclusion was that He did not know them?

What must we do for Jesus to know us?  Does He know us because we say that we are Christians?  Does He know us because we call out to Him in our time of need?  Does He know us because we praise Him for His beautiful creation?  Does He know us because we prayed a prayer?

As I surf Facebook or scan the newspaper, I am frightened by what I see.  People who claim to know Him are doing strange things, ungodly things, and I must stop and wonder: does He know them?

A carpenter builds a railing for an elderly client. When the project is finished, he takes hold of the rail and shakes it to be certain of its integrity.  Will it hold the weight of the person who grasps it; will it withstand the test?

I do not write these things to shake your faith – to make you doubt; but I write them to encourage you to “shake your faith” and make certain it is true!  Will it withstand the test of eternal time?  Have you placed your faith in Jesus Christ alone?  Is it real to you?

The most sacred day of the year is just around the corner. I urge you to make certain of your faith.  Is your faith placed squarely upon the shoulders of our crucified Lord?  Are you trusting in Him alone?

Have you been to Jesus for the cleansing pow’r?
Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?
Are you fully trusting in His grace this hour?

Are you washed in the blood,
In the soul-cleansing blood of the Lamb?
Are your garments spotless? Are they white as snow?

Are you walking daily by the Savior’s side?
Do you rest each moment in the Crucified?

When the Bridegroom cometh will your robes be white?
Will your soul be ready for the mansions bright,
And be washed in the blood of the Lamb?

Lay aside the garments that are stained with sin,
And be washed in the blood of the Lamb;
There’s a fountain flowing for the soul unclean,
Oh, be washed in the blood of the Lamb!

– Elisha A. Hoffman, 1878

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “I Never Knew You

1. Wanda, these are powerful words that Jesus said, and you have passed them on to us just as strongly and lovingly. He simply desires to gather us under his wings – it’s now our choice to be willing or not. How gracious and patient He is; however, we must not take it for granted and miss the banquet.

Blessings ~ Wendy

• I appreciate your comments. I always have much trepidation when I post this type of reading. I don’t apologize, I’m just burdened.

• I know what you mean about posting with trepidation as I recently did a post about abortion ( A Call to Prayer). I sweat bullets over that one, but I knew it was true and I had used gentleness and respect. You did well and right.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s