In My Father’s House

Last Saturday, we had a work day at our church.  We scrubbed windows, painted walls, cleaned closets, decorated for fall…  The men brought in wood for the pastor and his wife to keep them warm this winter, 🙂 and others worked on some electrical issues.  We always have a meal, and go away feeling satisfied that we cared for our Father’s house!

What is your part in your church?  What is it that you do?  Sometimes, we tend to think of church in the same way that we think of WalMart.  We are loyal to that store. We choose to go there over any other store.  We go there regularly and purchase what we need, thankful that we can depend on the place to be there at our beck and call, sometimes 24/7!  However, we don’t go around back and help empty the trucks.  We don’t clean the bathrooms or mop the floors!  Someone does those things, but it isn’t the customer.

May I challenge you to be more than a “customer” at your church?  Right now we have separate Sunday School classes for the men and women.  As ladies, we are using Elizabeth George’s book: “A Women After God’s Own Heart.”  The past few weeks have been on a mother’s heart and her desperate desire to train her children.  Is the church work day part of that training?  May I say a hearty YES!

As a child, I remember going faithfully to work days – they were always so much fun!  I remember one time having to sit on the machine that buffed the floor because it wasn’t doing the job right.  What fun!  As a family, we cleaned the church.  My mom taught Sunday School and my dad was on council.  When the doors were open – we were there.  Let me repeat that: WHEN THE DOORS WERE OPEN, WE WERE THERE.

Do you think that had anything to do with my becoming a pastor’s wife?  The heart to serve – whether it’s leading by example and finding your niche in your church or urging your children to do the same, it’s all part of training that child in the way that he SHOULD go.  It’s a rare child that will choose to go anywhere good apart from where you have not led them.  It’s part of the curse – they will gladly go to bad places where we do not lead them, especially if we have not set their feet on a sure foundation by our own example.  Aren’t you glad that “greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world!” (1 John 4:4)  Make your Father’s House truly your home away from home!

In my Father’s house are many mansions:

if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again,

and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.”

John 14: 2-4

http://www.freedigitalphotos.net

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s