Have you every squished something between two pieces of glass in order to view it through a microscope? It’s amazing to watch the substance spread out thin so you can see right through it. It may be a drop of swamp water – that’s always amazing to see all the critters swimming about completely unaware of your viewing!
Bob Jones University is daily put under the microscope by a myriad of observers. Some look on from the outside, like the protestor standing in front of the school dressed as a clown, totally clueless about the purpose of BJU.
As my husband and I spent a week at the campus (for Bible Conference AND to see our son – not necessarily listed in order of priority! :)), I felt the need to thank God publicly for this special place, as well as share some of my experiences:
- What a joy to be able to be at a Christian university that always serves up a banquet: God-honoring music; challenging messages from God’s Word served by men who are in the battle; and a healthy dose of humor.
- This week, I sat with Nathan in his music theory class as the teacher taught the lesson from a Biblical point of view. His comments naturally included thoughts tied to His heavenly Father, as naturally as if he were teaching a Bible class.
- There was no need to guard my ears or my eyes as we walked about the campus – the students were clothed and their speech clean.
- As we sat in a Sunday school class taught by the Dean of Men, I thanked God for the leadership of the school. This man’s biblical insight and perspective were reassuring.
- The highlight of the week was hearing Soundforth’s Premiere Concert of their newest CD: Steadfast FAITH. I was in tears as ten young men sang from their hearts and the orchestra matched their enthusiasm for Christ.
Many see only the school’s faults. I don’t believe BJU ever claimed to be perfect. Yes, there have been changes. Some of the changes may not work, but I give them credit for trying. Yes, there are cold hearts as well as students who push the rules to the limits, showing their rebellion; however, they are the minority!
I am certainly not an expert on all the issues that surround the school; but may I quote my husband: “Eat the fish, and spit out the bones!” BJU is not for everyone, and there will always be clowns at their doorstep shouting barbs. Perhaps the following statement shares my heart the best: The Christian army is the only army where we shoot our own soldiers.
“Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.” 1Ki 19:18
One thought on “A Tribute to Bob Jones University”
I am thankful for receiving an excellent Christ-centered education at BJU. It has grounded me in Biblical truth and helped me to go into the work force well prepared to do my job professionally and spiritually. Like you said they have never claimed to be perfect and it’s encouraging to hear your fresh perspective.