In Their Hands

This little phrase is found in several places in the Bible. One of my favorite ways to study the Bible is by searching for words or phrases and comparing them. Psalm 91 took me to this phrase. I’m trying to memorize the whole chapter. 2023 is the year of memorizing the Bible—something that has fallen through the cracks year after year.

COMMERCIAL TIME: Verses–Bible Memory is an amazing app to help with Bible memory. I LOVE IT!!! I’ve memorized nearly 20 verses this year because of this app. Check it out. (Sadly, it only works for apple products, I think.) I’m sure there are others that work just as well. It does take time, but it is so worth it! Those verses pop into my head all day long. Great blessing!

Anyway, Psalm 91:12Psalm 91:11,12 (NKJV) is today’s verse:

For He shall give his angels charge over you. In [their ]hands they shall bear you up, Lest you dash your foot against a stone.

Here’s another plug for memorizing: When you read a verse, it’s great but you don’t meditate on it as you do when you are memorizing. The phrase, “In their hands” stuck in my brain. In their hands. Whose hands? The angels who have charge over me.

Angels are sort of like sugar in our society: either we indulge too much or we completely remove it from our lives. Some people overemphasize angels while others completely ignore them. According to this verse, we do have angels who are in charge of our lives. They watch over us and keep us “in their hands”. That is an amazing concept! Yes, our Heavenly Father sees everything we do, knows us better than we know ourselves, and keeps us in His care, but somehow knowing that there’s a heavenly being created by God for the explicit purpose of doing God’s bidding is such a blessing.

So, where else is this phrase in the Bible? So glad you asked!

• Genesis 35:4

So they gave Jacob all the foreign gods which [were] in their hands, and the earrings which [were] in their ears; and Jacob hid them under the terebinth tree which [was] by Shechem.

What’s in your hand? Are they filled with the gods of this world? Dear reader, throw them away and pick up God’s Word!

• Deuteronomy 1:25

They also took [some] of the fruit of the land in their hands and brought [it] down to us; and they brought back word to us, saying, ‘[It is] a good land which the LORD our God is giving us.’

Here are the 12 spies bringing back proof of the wonders of Canaan—their promised land. Are you showing forth all the treasures of being a child of God? Do others see the joy of the Lord in your life even in the midst of trials? Nothing will speak louder to this world than that!

• Judges 7:19

So Gideon and the hundred men who [were] with him came to the outpost of the camp at the beginning of the middle watch, just as they had posted the watch; and they blew the trumpets and broke the pitchers that [were] in their hands.

Can you even imagine this? They are the selected 300 whom God is going to use to destroy their enemies. Now they stand ready for battle, holding trumpets and pitchers lit with oil! No swords or shields or bows or arrows! Can you face today with only God’s Ephesians 6 weapons: truth, righteousness, the gospel of peace, the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation, and, above all, prayer?

• 1 Samuel 21:13

So he changed his behavior before them, pretended madness in their hands, scratched on the doors of the gate, and let his saliva fall down on his beard.

Hey, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do! David is running from Saul and is with the king of the Philistines looking for shelter. It didn’t go the way he planned, so he’s pretending to be mad. Lesson? This is a low point in David’s life. He started trusting himself and forgot the promises of God. We may have to do something even crazier than this when that happens! TRUST GOD! I’ve never been running for my life, so I’m not condemning David. Perhaps this was God’s way of helping David to escape. (I wonder if his guardian angels were chuckling at the sight.)

• 1 Kings 20:6

‘but I will send my servants to you tomorrow about this time, and they shall search your house and the houses of your servants. And it shall be, [that] whatever is pleasant in your eyes, they will put in their hands and take [it.]’

YIKES! How strong is your enemy? Do you feel threatened by them? This is Ben-Hadad, the king of Syria coming after King Ahab, yes, that wicked king of Israel. However, even in his wickedness, he has some shining moments, and this is one of them. One of my favorite verses in the Bible is spoken here by king Ahab: So the king of Israel answered and said, Tell him, ‘Let not the one who puts on his armor boast like the one who takes it off.’ Keep in the battle, dear Christian!

• Ezra 5:8

Let it be known to the king that we went into the province of Judea, to the temple of the great God, which is being built with heavy stones, and timber is being laid in the walls; and this work goes on diligently and prospers in their hands.

Love, love, LOVE this verse!!! Can you imagine what we could accomplish when we work together? Please, I’m not talking about holding hands with apostates; I’m talking about born-again believers working together for the common goal of glorifying Jesus Christ. These captive Israelites who returned with Nehemiah were ready to work. Trials will do that to you if we allow them to—become better, not bitter.

• Luke 6:1

Now it happened on the second Sabbath after the first that He went through the grainfields. And His disciples plucked the heads of grain and ate [them,] rubbing [them] in [their] hands.

Even when we are doing mundane tasks, remember the hands that hold us.

Revelation 7:9

After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands,

What a glorious promise. We will hold palm branches in our hands and praise the Lamb who bore out sins. What a glorious thought to carry us through these days as we walk the Christian walk.

So much to learn from this little phrase, “n their hands.” But perhaps the most remarkable verse that talks about the hands that hold us is John 10:28-29

And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given [them] to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch [them] out of My Father’s hand.

God, the Father, AND the Son hold us in their hands and nothing can remove us from that blessed place. We have eternal life, we will never perish, and no one can touch us there without our Father’s consent! Hallelujah!

So, what is trying to cause you to doubt our Father’s care and protection?

Do you have something special in your hands, a treasure from God?

Or, perhaps, you have a special place where you find the comfort of being “in His hands” that you’d like to share.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.