What Will Make the Difference?

Yesterday, we had a baby dedication at church for three new babies.  It’s always a beautiful service, full of meaning and commitment for the parents as well as the church family. Today, we read in the news about a family of four in our dear state of Pennsylvania who were murdered: the daughter shot her […]

Read More

Feeling Cheated?

59 ounces or 1.85 quarts – that is NOT a half gallon!  Argh!  First it’s the ice cream, now it’s the orange juice!  They are SO sneaky!  Just the other week, I thought I was getting a great deal on Breyer’s ice cream over the Wal-Mart brand because they were the same price only […]

Read More

Yielding, Not Working

God does not tell us that we are workmen who are to use and manage instruments. Instead we are the instruments to be used and managed by the divine Master Workman who make us, and who alone, therefore, understands for what work we are best fitted and how we are best used.  The only […]

Read More

A Living Legacy

Do you know the names of all your grandparents?  Could you name all your great-grandparents?  (Our daughter is named after two of her great-great grandmothers; however, after we settled on her name, we found out that my great-grandmother Jenny Zeafle’s real name was Sarah!) I was asked these questions several years ago during a sermon, […]

Read More

Can You Shine in Spite of Heartache?

Is it possible to quantify what causes the greatest heartache?  Probably the first thing that comes to mind is the loss of a loved one in death.  They’re gone from us; and though we have the promise of seeing them again if they were truly blood-washed saints, it hurts not to be able to see […]

Read More